DeviantART login update October 2008
- The correct title of this article is deviantART login update October 2008. The initial letter is capitalized due to technical limitations.
On October 28, 2008, deviantART made changes to its login process which affects the authtoken-resolving mechanism in all dAmn bots. Log in information sent using the login forms on the website were strictly required to use an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connection, and connections by normal means were refused. A new value was also added to the login forms! It's a hidden value called ref, and is the referer, so you'd put "ref=https://www.deviantart.com/users/login" as the first value if logging in from that location.
All bots broke. At the time, bots did not use an SSL connection when grabbing authtokens. This means that most bots will no longer work unless you manually retrieve your bot's authtoken. The only bot which wasn't broken by this update was dAmnBot, as it never automatically grabbed authtokens.
Various solutions to this problem can be found on this page.
- Contra - Contra v3 has been released and is most likely Contra's final release!
- Dante - If you have checked out Dante from the SVN repository, simply run `svn update` to update your distribution. If you are running Dante 0.9a, you need to check the page for one of multiple methods of fixing.
- dbpc (build 20081102-133631 or later)
- Ecko 0.2.1 has been patched and will be released for public beta within the next month or two, depending on how things go.
- Futurism 0.8 has been patched; build 801 is the patched version. Additionally, the new Futurism 0.3.6 is a legacy release that patches the 0.3.x versions.
- xbot has a patch available.
- Mocha, though unreleased, has been fixed